The purpose of this exercise is to write an initial proposal for the final Critical Assessment in order to get early tutor feedback, and to start the process so that it develops in parallel with the other coursework.
Key words from the brief:
- Identify what subjects you’d like to explore and develop broad questions you might like to ask
- Try and link them to your own practice
- Around 200 words and should also contain any books or other research material that has helped to inform your ideas.
What is the visual language of reportage and can it be learned and applied?
I’m writing a critical review that explores the visual language of reportage illustration, and what’s interesting about it is seeing what I can learn and apply from the language to my own work across the remainder of the course.
The questions I’d like to explore include:
- What are the attributes of good reportage drawing and great reportage illustrators explored through the work of five artists?
- What is the visual language of reportage?
- How successfully can I learn and apply aspects of the language through critical assessment of the remaining exercises and assignments in Responding to a brief?
- What can be learned from this exercise for the future?
Areas of research
Experience and notes taken from:
- An Urban Sketching Bootcamp in Prague run by Veronica Lawlor and Melanie Reim
- An Urban Sketching Workshop ‘Park Life’ run by Celia Burgos and Isabel Carmona
- Discussions with London Urban sketchers at evening and weekend sketch sessions
- Reportage and Documentary Drawing, Veronica Lawlor, Quarry Books
- Sketching your world, James Hobbs, Apple Press
- Reportage Illustration, Gary Embury and Mario Minichiello, Bloomsbury
- Understanding Illustration, Derek Brazell and Jo Davies, Bloomsbury
- On the spot drawing, Nick Meglin,
List of potential reportage illustrators to research and who’s work to reference:
- Lyonel Feininger
- Ben Shan
- Joe Ciardiello
- Robert Weaver
- Hokusai (sketchbooks)
- Bill Negron
- Austin Briggs
- Daniel Zalkus
- Feliks Topolski
- Paul Hogarth
- Peter Arkle
- Veronica Lawlor
- Melanie Reim
- Lucinda Rogers
- George Butler
- Louis Netter
- Evan Turk
- Ronald Searle
- David Gentleman
- Chloe Regan
- Marina Grechanik
- Olivier Kugler
There’s far too many here but this is a good starting point to narrow down from.