The brief was to explore different viewpoints of a range of objects that were chosen around a pre-defined theme.
Keywords from the brief:
- Make a small collection of objects around a theme
- Document them using photographs
- Do the same thing with drawing
- Be unusual with the positioning of the frame
- Communicate an idea about your chosen theme
- Record your thoughts on [several] questions
I chose ‘the morning after’ as my theme.
I used the photographs and drawings to illustrate a short narrative story in a comic strip format. This seemed to be an interesting way to meet the objectives of the brief.
I had the idea for ‘the morning after’ narrative on the train and sketched out some initial ideas. This meant that I had a good idea of what images I needed before taking the photographs.
Because my model was pressed for time, I had to be quick with my camerawork.
I set up the panel layout for the final image using InDesign. I then drew initial sketches into the panels in pencil. Using a lightbox I then inked in the artwork and painted on top of this using liquid watercolour.
The final step was to add colour, text and the handwritten title in Photoshop.
Questions from the brief
Q. Which viewpoint best fitted the word your objects illustrated? Why was this?
A. My choice of subject and viewpoint and how images were sequenced was all driven by the need of the ‘the morning after’ narrative e.g. the first image needed to be a wide shot providing an overview of the scene and context for the story.
Q. Which format best illustrated your words?
A. The comic strip used two different image formats. The first six images used a 4:3 aspect ratio. These images provided context and built up the story.
The final image that had the ‘punchline’ was a letterbox format that spans the whole width of the page. This format change gave the final frame more impact.
Q. Did changing viewpoints make you think differently about your choice of objects and arrangement of them?
A. Yes. As well as providing meaning, the layout and choice of images (and how they are framed) gives balance to the overall page.
What I learned from the exercise
What went well
- I thought this was an interesting way to meet the brief
- The process I’m using seems like a good way of working. Credit to Palle Schmidt who as well as being a great comic illustrator also has a series of ‘how to’ tutorials on youtube in which he’s generous in sharing his knowledge and experience
- I had to think carefully about introducing dialogue and how to pace this
- I think the final visual works
- Doing the work was quick
What I could have done differently/better
- I discovered that rather counterintuitively the darker areas of the watercolour image ‘pick-up’ the most colour when using Photoshop overlays. Because of this learning I’ll use more dark tone in backgrounds in future work
- I need to improve my figure drawing!