Definition of done (DOD) is a term used in the software development industry to define clearly and unambiguously when a task or feature is completed.
Typically this consists of a checklist of criteria that need to be fulfilled. Once the criteria have been met (and verified), a task can move from ‘doing’ into ‘done’.
The DOD is iterative and will change over time.
DOD for research tasks and exercises
- Did the content meet the brief?
- is punctuation and spelling correct?
- Is the background suitable to carry any text?
- Is the purpose framed as a this thing/so what statement?
- Are reflections framed as this thing/so that statements?
- Are any lessons highlighted and captured for future consideration?
- Are any research areas identified and captured for future consideration?
- Are all references added to Paperpile?
- Are any new glossary items added to the research glossary?
- Could I have taken more creative risk? Is so, what? Has this been added to the reflections
- Are research practice objectives measured and have any lessons been added to the reflective statement?