The purpose of this page
This page contains information for the level progression tutor discussion.
- A selection of images
- A statement of intent
Note that Visual exploration tutor reports have been uploaded to the G:Drive here.
A selection of images
The following groups of images have been selected because I like them and/or they are areas of practice that I feel drawn to.
Statement of intent
During the past month I’ve been either researching for of writing my critical assessment that involved a fairly broad review of my work since the start of Key steps in illustration and through to completion of Visual exploration. It’s also been a period of reflection on my own working processes and how I optimise them.
It now feels like I’m really ready to launch into Level 3.
Choosing the handful of images for this exercise was quite revealing in terms of what I like and gives a clue as to the general direction I’m moving in.
- I’m doing a lot of figure/life/portrait drawing through numerous Zoom classes
- I continue to experiment with gestural drawing, slow/fast visual approaches, experimentation with media and design
- I continue to create content for my pandemic diary project – currently on Day 232.
- I’m excited by opportunities to experiment and collaborate, recognising that for me, these are excellent development opportunities
- The final three assignments in Visual exploration resulted in different types of narrative illustration that have a lot of scope for further development
- I’m working with a number of subjects and themes but still feel lacking in this area. I’m looking for something that I can feel passionate about and haven’t quite found what that is yet.
- Narrative illustration
- Narrative sequences
- People and place
- Words and pictures
What I’d like to develop
- Narrative illustration
- My drawing skills
Area for research
I’ve found both of the critical reviews produced for Responding to a brief and Visual exploration extremely valuable in supporting me to better understand and position my own practice.
I have a backlog of practice research items, but there’s nothing large enough to take forward as a specific area of research. When I do discover a area for research I would expect it to be an important part of my Level 3 work.
Outcome of completing the course
- To gain the technical and creative skills and portfolio of work to allow me to pivot away from my current day job
- Start to make contacts and connections to support sustaining my practice
- Develop an authentic personal voice
- Significantly improve my drawing skills
- Identify subjects and themes that I feel passionate about
- Develop my research skills
- Identify/start/deliver some significant projects
- Find a way to sustain my practice