The purpose of this exercise was to start thinking and working using a reportage approach.
Key words from the brief:
- Draw a space you are familiar with
- Draw the location, the people and activities
- Use notes to capture your thoughts and feelings, dialogue and other details
- You can spend a chunk of time doing all the drawings in one go, or work on them over a period of time
The drawings are are of people and places made over a six-week period. They are arranged into two sections.
- Sketchbook drawings from my daily commute into London
- Urban sketches from various London locations
They were made using a mixture of different approaches; most were made relatively quickly and some of the more complex drawings were more sustained.
These sketches were created after did the Urban Sketching Bootcamp in Prague (see 2.2 Drawing on location). I can really see a development in my work in terms of visual language employed and a willingness to tackle more challenging subjects.