The brief was to create a spider diagram for each of these words:
Keywords from the brief:
- Create a spider diagram
- Remember your own experiences
- List objects you associate with each word
- Note which word was most difficult for you to work with and the strategies that suited you best to come up with more words
What was the most difficult word to work with?
- The most difficult word to work with by far was ‘Anger’. This is because it’s an emotion so can only be described in abstract terms.
What were the best strategies for coming up with more words
- Using online thesauri to generate related words and phrases which could then be explored further was the best strategy followed by asking other people’s opinion advice.
What I learned from the exercise
What went well
- I use mindmaps alot so this exercise felt natural
- I was surprised at how difficult I found brainstorming ‘Anger’
What I would do differently/better
- I use a mindmap application called MindManager for my job. I think physically drawing mindmaps that incorporate images/collage is a more effective way for me to generate ideas for visual communication